My favorite way to be wowed is unexpectedly. I so much did not expect to love Ben’s Chili Dogs in Newport.
How we found Ben’s Chili Dogs: Recently my dear chef-husband was kind enough to accompany me to Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge, despite the wacky-frigid-windy weather, so that I could, maybe, spot my first Harlequin Duck. He stood on a cliff in the wind and watched me scan the Sachuest Bay in front of Middletown’s Second Beach with my binoculars. “No Harlequin,” I reported, “but there’s a flock of Common Eider… and I think that’s a Red Breasted Merganser.”
“Hot dog,” said the man who loves me dearly enough to freeze his eyeballs while watching me stare at waterfowl bobbing in the surf. “I could really go for a hot dog right now.”
I rarely eat hot dogs. My Chicago-born husband, however, gets a hankering for them at unexpected times. I figured the February face-numbing breezes on Sachuest Point made him nostalgic for the Windy City and comfort food, so of course I mapped “hot dogs” and “my location” on my iPhone. Ben’s Chili Dogs came up as the nearest hot-dog stop between us and home. Since marriage thrives on reciprocity, I intended to accompany him there, to watch him eat a hot dog. And then I discovered,
There’s more to Ben’s Chili Dogs than Chili Dogs.
- Homemade delicious soup, including Kerri’s soon-to-be-famous 13-bean chili and a beautiful Portuguese Kale Soup! Oh, my!
- Locally-sourced milk from Arrudas Dairy, Tiverton, RI. And the chocolate version actually has cocoa in it, with no corn syrup (if you read the label of most chocolate milk “drinks” — you’ll find loads of Yucky Stuff!)
- Baked beans, Chourico and peppers, coney island meat sauce–everything is made from scratch, with love. (I can taste the love in food, and I know when it’s not there!)
- And the hot dogs are all beef/pork, natural casing, no fillers. I actually ate one, with Kraut (because Kraut is so good-for-you!). It was tasty.
Ben’s Chili Dogs meets all the requirements to be awarded my personal recommendation (read about my standards for honest reviews here).
- It’s been locally owned for 46 years,
- offers high quality homemade food,
- with fast, friendly, professional service,
- at a greatly economical price!!! (I love bargains!)
Ben’s Chili Dogs, 158 Broadway, Newport, RI 02840
Winter hours: 10-6 Mon-Sat; 12-5 Sun
Summer hours: 10-8 Mon-Sat; 12-5 Sun
What’s your favorite dog?