Tired of your usual salad?
This Arugula, Apple, Walnut salad with Ginger-Lemon-Dijon dressing is a sweet-tangy-spicy pick-me-up for your tastebuds.
Bonus: it will ratchet up your energy-level, too.
Salad Ingredients (per serving):
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- 1/2 cup romaine or other lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 medium apple, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/4 stalk of celery, thinly sliced
- about 1/8 cup of shaved carrot (after you peel the carrot, just keep peeling to get a pile of shavings)
- 1 tablespoon of chopped walnuts
Toss the greens together. Arrange apple, celery and carrot on top. Sprinkle with walnuts and drizzle with approximately 1 tablespoon of dressing.
Ginger-Lemon-Dijon Dressing Ingredients (3-4 servings)
- 1 tablespoon lemonade concentrate (see cook’s note below**)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or use your favorite salad oil)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake until emulsified.
**Cook’s note: We keep this homemade lemonade concentrate in a squeeze bottle in the refrigerator: mix equal parts freshly squeezed lemon juice and powdered sugar; shake like crazy. Shake again before using. (For a refreshing lemonade, stir 1 tablespoon of concentrate into an 8-ounce glass of icy club soda.)
Whether you love salads, or merely put up with them because you know they’re good for you–your weary taste buds will thank you for adding this one to your repertoire.
Are you a salad seeker or a salad resister?