I ditched my categories a while back, to give myself freedom to blog about whatever I wanted to blog about. It worked. Blogging stopped feeling like a classroom “assignment” and became a spontaneous overflowing of whatever was on my mind. And my readers weren’t freaked out when I went eclectic–instead, their feedback was that they, too, thought it liberated my writing and made my posts more interesting.
But I’ve been thinking, if Billy Ray Cyrus can change his style, his sound, his haircut with every new album, I’m going to feel free to also sing along:
Lately I’ve been thinking and I’m thinkin’ ’bout changing my mind.
Categories are back on my blog! Over there on the right.
To make navigation easier for newcomers, that’s why.
But I’m wondering whether a little group-think might help me jazz up my category names–you know, make them sizzle. Right now they’re sort of boring.
Or, is boring good because it’s clear?
Help me, blogging friends. These categories fairly encompass the topics I write about:
These categories fairly encompass the topics I write about:
- food and drink
- health and wellness
- living and loving
- writing and reading
- and for everything that doesn’t fit, there remains the xyz eclectic musings category (I had to come up with a word that began with x, y, or z, or in this case with xyz, to get this uncategorized category to show up last in the list, which is where I want it to be).
Please help decide what to name my categories. If you need a reason to help me, choose from these 5 good ones:
- just because you’re a helpful sort,
- or because we’re friends;
- or because I’ll tell the whole world about how wonderful you are and give you credit, publicity and links back to your blog;
- whatever else might motivate you is a fine enough reason;
- or help me because you’re a Jedi-Master and you have a mission to help everyone who asks (you are, aren’t you? I knew it!)
Why-ever you help, I’ll sincerely appreciate it. Thank you!
Do you vote for my category-names as they are, or do you have more electrifying words I could borrow?